What is Condition or Dilapidation Report and Why Required Prior to Obtaining Property Protection Insurance?

Your building survey has determined your construction or building works pose significant risk to your neighbours, subsequently as an owner builder you are required to take out extra insurance.

At the time of requesting Protective Works Insurance your building surveyor is unable to quantify your building risks and asks you, as an owner builder to insurer against their computations.Condition or Dilapidation reports help to confirm whether or not your construction or demolition work is likely to cause of damage to nearby structures, landscape or buildings.

Building and demolition work often requires the use of of heavy machinery and equipment, and may involve significant changes to the construction site. This may include removal of much soil, existing slabs or footings and possibly trees. Sometimes it also involves knocking down parts of an existing structure.

Your building survey has deemed that whilst you may remain diligent with your construction actives carefully your project has the potential to cause damage to adjoining or adjacent houses or other nearby infrastructure.

Above and beyond the requirements for the protection of adjoining properties, you may also need to arrange to have special reports undertaken on the state of nearby buildings.

These reports are normally carried out on nearby properties both before work begins, and after it’s finished. Comparing the two reports offers a clear picture of any damage that might have occurred as a result of building, excavation or demolition work.

What does a dilapidation report include?

Dilapidation reports are normally carried out by experienced building consultants, who have a good understanding of the aspects of a house or property that are likely to be affected by nearby works, and who know exactly what to look for.

Dilapidation reports typically include things like notes, measurements, photographs and diagrams which give an accurate picture of the state of the buildings being inspected, and are normally signed by both the owner of the property being inspected, and the party having construction work done.

Do I need a dilapidation reports?

Your building survey is the catalyst for these requirements.

Whether or not these reports are necessary will come down to where your building is situated in relation to other buildings, and what the authorities in your area require. Even if they’re not required by law for the work you’re doing though, dilapidation reports can help protect you against litigation if neighbours claim that your construction or demolition work has damaged their homes.